One of the questions we get asked all the time is Should I have a theme or just a junk booth with everything? Why not have both? If you can only have one, we would advise choosing a theme. It is best if you have a specific look and style. Go with one that reflects who you are and the things you love. The more passionate you are about your booth, the better your sales. Your customer base will come to identify your style.
Once you have had your booth for awhile, you will have things that won’t sell and you will always be picking at yard sales and thrift stores. Sometimes it’s hard to pass up a good deal and before you know it, you have a bunch of odds and ends that don’t really go with your booth. This is where having a second booth for all your junk comes in handy.
Before I started my booth at Queen of Hearts Antiques & Interiors, I had to take a mandatory booth class. When I was telling a friend about it, she jokingly said, “You should be teaching it, not taking the class”. We laughed about it and I told her I was looking forward to participating. Even though at the time I had been in the antique industry for 20 years, I knew there were still a lot of things I could learn.
I admit it was a bit strange sitting in class and seeing our name, Booth Crush, pop up on one of the slides during the PowerPoint presentation. Dawn and I were honored they mentioned us as one of the go-to resources for vintage dealers. Looking back, I’m very glad I took this class for two reasons. First, I did take away some valuable information. Second I met my friend, Leslie Wylie.
Leslie and I became good friends. We both had our own booth with completely different tastes and styles. When we were out picking, we never had to worry about wanting the same items. One day over lunch, we brainstormed about starting an additional booth for our junk. You know, the stuff that doesn’t really fit into your decor. This would be our funky, junky, kitschy kind of booth. Several people advised us not to take a booth together. We were told it could ruin our friendship if the booth failed. We were both determined to make it work though.
We wanted a bigger booth, but at the time our mall didn’t have any other booths available. There is always a waitlist, but they do give seniority to the dealers over newbies. So we took this 7’x9′ booth. This first photo was move-in day. Not really sure what was going on in the ceiling. We removed the tree branches but left the boards so we could string lights and use it for hanging things.
We knew we wanted to leave the pegboard. I despise the look of it, but it’s oh so easy and quick to hang things. Unfortunately, it wasn’t installed on each side of the wall. We could have had it finished out, but since we were going to put up more shelving we knew it wouldn’t matter. It was a funky little booth, but we knew some paint and shelving would do the trick. We decided to leave the flooring as-is since no one would really notice it after it was filled up.
Slowly but surely we started adding inventory. Our mall had a 75% / 25% rule. It had to be 75% vintage and the other 25% could be newer or handmade. Now, let me clarify for newbies antiques are anything that is 100-years-old or older and vintage is anything 20 years or older. Leslie and I had a little bit of everything.
Once it was filled up with inventory the floor wasn’t that noticeable.
We are pleased to say this junk booth did better than we could ever hoped. We had a lot of fun during the process and the best thing was our friendship survived. We would probably still have this little space, but I ended up moving out of town and Leslie moved out of state. I sure miss this little happy space, but more importantly, I miss my friend, Leslie.